Put one or more of these great ideas into practice to burn more calories. Information is from Len Kravitz, PhD, University of New Mexico.
To maximize time and effort you need to use the most effective interventions. Sneak in more calorie burn immediately in everyday life and workouts as well. Check out these options from Dr. Kravitz to see what works for you!
Add daily movements that burns more calories
1. For every 30 get your 3 – that is, for every 30 minutes of sitting or inactivity get 3 minutes of movement. This is very effective on insulin resistance.
2. Walk briskly regularly.
3. Do 30 second/60 second interval walking – do 30 seconds of comfortable but challenging walking with 60 seconds of mild recovery walking.
4. Move after you hydrate. Each time you drink water, move around.
5. Count your steps – counting steps works to influence you to do more steps!
6. Walk & talk – (safely) walk 3+ mph for 30 minutes.
Use the most effective training programs and methods for fat loss
7. Use multi-mode exercise within session – switch machines or modes of exercise within your cardio session by using a bike, EFX, treadmill, etc for your total cardio session. We get efficient when using the same mode so changing it up increases the work load which increases the calorie burn.
8. Use a weighted vest for walking/running – wear a weighted vest that is approximately 10% of your bodyweight to increase calorie burn.
9. Circuit train to improve VO2 Max – incorporate these concepts:
- 20 – 30 minute session.
- 6 – 12 exercises per session, multi-joint
- use 40 – 80% one-rep max
- 12 – 15 reps or 20 – 40 seconds of work per station
- take very short rests between exercises, complete at least 2 circuits.
10. Use this HIIT program – improves cardio-vascular function, inflammation, insulin resistance and oxidative stress.
- start with a 5 – 10 minute warm-up
- alternate 4 minute bouts of high-intensity with 3 minute recovery period
- 4 intervals per session for 3 times per week. 28 minutes total including warm-up and cool down.
These strategies are research tested and proven to be among the most effective on health and weight loss. If you need even more new ideas, please check out getfit.unm.edu for a listing compiled by University of New Mexico students of exercise science. Let me know if you need any help moving more and moving better to achieve your weight goals. I can design a customized program for you!